As Spring approaches (maybe…please…soon) it can be a good time to try some other breakfast options as porridge loses it’s warming appeal..
Porridge is so good for you, of course, as oats have so many health benefits including:
- A great mix of carbohydrates and fibre including a type of fibre that can reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- More protein and fats than most grains, making it one of the most well balanced grains
- Being packed full of vitamins and minerals
- Being packed full of anti oxidant plant compounds
And so keep your porridge habit up if you can! But if you fancy a change here’s a tasty template for making your own nutritionally balanced oat based granola:
- 250g rolled oats
- 100g milled (ground) linseed, sunflower seeds etc.
- 1 crumbled wheat biscuit (such as Weetabix) (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsps olive, coconut or rapeseed oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 150 deg C
- Combine all of the ingredients apart from the last two into a bowl
- Whisk the egg white until frothy and then stir into the mixture
- If you have a sweeter tooth at this point you may want to add a tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- Spread evenly over a baking sheet or two lined with baking paper
- Bake for 50 mins turning the mixture half way taking care to keep some clumps
- Leave to cool and then store in an airtight container for up to 4-5 weeks adding dried fruit, nuts, seeds and shredded coconut as you wish
This also makes a great crumble topping!